The story of the Comfort Women is something that I now hold deep in my heart. The story “Say it” for the Comfort Woman may be the last official chapter in the book, but it is one that rang in my ears even now. After reading the agony that was voiced in “Say it” I started research. I consider myself quite knowledgeable on World War II and never before this book have I heard the horrors that these woman went through. There may not be any official numbers in how many “comfort woman” actually were enslaved by the Imperial Japanese Army. But the tens of thousands to upwards of hundreds of thousands projected is a disgustingly horrible number.
These thousands of woman who were tricked or kidnapped and forced to live in these brothels suffered insufferable pain. One outside article even says that only some 25% survived. These women were prisoners to these men who had no remorse. “What we weren’t allowed to do: Wash ourselves, move around, go to the doctor, use a condom, run away, keep my baby, and ask him to stop.” (Page 162) Jan Ruff-O’Hearn testified to the Supreme Court that “Even the Japanese doctor raped me each time he visited the brothel to examine us for venereal disease.” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women) The countless stories that must be out there are nothing more than shameful and heart retching.
The Vagina Monologues to me wasn’t something that taught me to love my female parts. It’s a testimony to the woman who isn’t able to be treated as even basic woman beings. I take away and will voice my new found knowledge about the Comfort woman that I so hopelessly admire for their strengths. I take away the fear that something as barbaric as genital mutation still exists. I take away even more respect for our culture one that doesn’t promote such grave travesties. Woman are stronger for a reason.
No comments:
Post a Comment