I’m going to do a break down of the characters or icons that Ensler depicts in the story Refuser. I do this simply because the first time that I read the text I was so overwhelmed with people and places that I didn’t know. When that happens the story then becomes useless because your missing out on the insight that the author intended for you to piece together.
-Pink Sari Gang- gang of woman found in 2006 who visit husbands guilty of domestic abuse and beat them until they stop beating their wives.
-Peshmerga Woman-army of Kurdish fighters
-Malalai Joya- Afghan politician who speaks out again warlords, the Taliban and the government.
-Rachel Corrie – member in Palestinian led organization to resolve conflict using nonviolent protests. Corrie was murdered trying to protect a home.
- Aung San Suu Kyi – leading the Burnmese Democracy Movement. Secretary of the National League for Democracy.
-Neda Soltani- protester who was murdered at a protest against the outcome of the 2009 Iranian presidential election. Neda Soltani is actually not her name its Neda Agha-Soltan.
-Simone Weil- French philosopher
-Bella Abzug- important women’s activist and member of the US House of Representatives.
-Ellen Johnson Sirleaf- elected President of Liberia in 2005
- Arundhati Roy- Indian Novelist best known for The God of Small Things.
- Rigoberta Menchu – indigenous Guatemalan who won Nobel Peace Prize in 1992
- Julia Butterfly Hill- activist who lived in a Redwood tree for 738 days to stop lumber factory from cutting it down.
After all the research the Refuser truly makes sense to me. These women that are listed above are stories and icons that I truly never heard about before. My most resent re-read of the story was insightful and inspiring.
No comments:
Post a Comment