Why would a young woman of Harlem hate her color? The main character Precious feels as though the reason why all of these horrible events that have happened to her are in result of the color of her skin. But why would she think this?
Precious doesn’t idolize white people but she hates that she is African American. She feels as though if she was white or “butter colored” as she calls it, that she would have a different life completely. Precious feels as though if she was even a heavy white woman that she would have found a man to love her. But I can’t get past the idea why she hates her skin color so much. She has only grown up around African Americans, she praises Farrakhan who is black religious leader and is living in Harlem, New York in which African American’s are the main population of the city. But for what reason would such hatred of her own race be created or inspired? It wasn’t until her first few meetings with local support groups did she learn that problems of rape and incest are in other races as well. I think that was really the first big stepping stone in which she realized that her horrible childhood wasn’t the result of her being black.
I get such a strong visual image of Precious when I read this book, especially since I haven’t seen the movie. Though it’s apparent that she is overweight she now carries herself proud. New newfound ambition and determination has given her something to live for, something to be prideful of. She said it herself she understands that she is young but she has learned things about horrible topics that are making her an old soul. “I don’t know what “realism” mean but I do know what REALITY is and it’s a mutherfu____, lemme tell you.” (Page 83)Precious is learning, she is becoming educated and though she may not match up with her age groups educational level she has made such a vast improvement. One doesn’t have to know the definitions to all the words in the English language if they are able to use street smarts to put the pieces together.
No comments:
Post a Comment